22-year-old Philadelphia native, Najai "Nitro" Turpin, reportedly shot himself in the head early Monday morning while sitting in a parked car with his girlfriend.
NBC still plans to go forward with the premier of the series on March 7th. Reality king Mark Burnett (Survivor, The Apprentice, The Restaurant) teamed with Sylvester Stallone to produce "The Contender," a 13-episode reality series which features two boxer each week competing with one another and other obstacles in their lives to succeed in the sport.
Burnett told the New York Times that the show will go on exactly as planned. "Nothing changes. I'm not even going to make any edits because it's real". Burnett told the paper that the most likely solution to addressing the suicide would be to run a notice at the end of Turpin's final episode telling viewers about his death.
Raised on the mean streets of Philly, Turpin
went into "The Contender" with a 13-1 record as a middleweight fighter.
Stallone who will act as the show's host described Turpin in the series
premier episode as "a tough, punchy street kid from Philadelphia fighting
for a better life for his family."
antiTainment returns! now anti once again goes beyond just music!
Susanna Hoffs Shares New Version Of 'Eternal Flame'- Miley Cyrus To Unleash 'End Of The World'- more
Quick Flicks: The Million Eyes of Sumuru
Bob James & Dave Koz - Just Us
Travel News, Trips and Tips: Spring In To Travel With These Items
Watch Jelly Roll Jam 'Tuesday's Gone' With Lynyrd Skynyrd
Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets' Joins Billions Club
Bruce Springsteen Releasing 7 Previously Unheard Albums
Modest Mouse Presents Ice Cream Floats To Set Sail
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah Plot 20th Anniversary Reissue and Tour
The Residents to Perform 'Eskimo' Live for the First Time
The Doors Pay Tribute To Val Kilmer
Godsmack Confirm Tony Rombola and Shannon Larkin's Exit