Eddie Van Halen Wanted Final Tour With Hagar and Roth

(hennemusic) A full Van Halen reunion was considered for a farewell tour before Eddie Van Halen's health issues prevented plans from being fully realized, according to bassist Wolfgang Van Halen.
During a November 16 appearance on The Howard Stern Show, the rocker revealed that he had introduced the idea of bringing Michael Anthony back into the fold for the series to his father, who eventually expanded the concept even further.
"At a certain point, it turned into what we joked as 'The Kitchen Sink Tour'," Wolfgang told Stern, "because after he was OK with that arrangement, he was like 'then let's get David [Lee Roth] and [Sammy] Hagar and even [Gary] Cherone and let's just do a giant awesome thing.' And we talked to [manager] Irving Azoff about how cool it would be."
Wolfgang further explained that Azoff reached out to Anthony - consistent with the bassist's version of the story - before he did, "and that's kind of how everything started to get leaked out ... but by that time, Dad wasn't able to."
As Wolfgang had been working on his solo debut during these discussions, part of the plan under consideration involved having the Van Halen prodigy open the shows with his own band and maybe join the lineup for a few songs.
The bassist confirmed that Eddie was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in 2017 and was told by doctors that he had six weeks left to live; the guitarist flew to Germany for radiation treatment that extended his life before things took a turn for the worse after a spring 2019 motorcycle accident that led to a brain tumor diagnosis, treatment and a number of other issues ahead of his passing last month at the age of 65. Watch the interview segment here.
Copyright hennemusic - Excerpted here with permission.
Related Stories
Van Halen in The Studio For 'Women And Children First' 45th Anniversary
Van Halen's David Lee Roth Lines Up Second Rare Live Performance For 2025
New Van Halen Album Rumor Addressed By Steve Lukather
Sammy Hagar Pays Tribute To The Original Redhead John Pruner
Sammy Hagar Leads Lineup of Stagecoach Festival's Palomino Stage
Advertisement
Day In Rock Report
Black Sabbath May Continue As Avatars- Motley Crue Cancel Festival For Health Reasons- AC/DC Giving Away Tickets- Shannon and Tony Exit Godsmack- moreSusanna Hoffs Shares New Version Of 'Eternal Flame'- Miley Cyrus To Unleash 'End Of The World'- more
Reviews
L.A. Guns - Leopard SkinQuick Flicks: The Million Eyes of Sumuru
Bob James & Dave Koz - Just Us
Travel News, Trips and Tips: Spring In To Travel With These Items
Latest News
Motley Crue Cancel Festival Appearance For Health ReasonsAir Announce Record Store Day Releases And Expand Tour
The New Pornographers Get Animated For 'Ballad of the Last Payphone'
Tetrarch Deliver 'Cold' Visualizer
Mikkey Dee Helps Mad Invasion 'Crack The Sky'
Another Damn Disappointment (A.D.D.) Share 'Lights Go Out'
Black Sabbath May Continue As Avatars
Shannon Larkin and Tony Rombola Exit Godsmack